08 May 2011

First Century for the LT

I'd written the perfect training plan for the LT with 45/50 mile evening rides plus longer weeekend rides so LT Klein would be ready for his first century before we leave for Utah Cliffs later this month. Two problems ruined the plan; April and May weather have so far been like a long continuation of March- wind, rain, or both most days, and the LT has allowed his work to disrupt my training plan for him!

Despite the weather issues, we'd worked our way up to 56 miles last Saturday as we rode to "Pearl" a defunct ghost town which even the ghost has left- only a couple of mine shafts remain of this old mining town. Getting there involves climbing on dirt roads which I believe the LT's altimeter showed 4,000 ft of climbing, so with that success I thought he'd be ready for 75 to 80 miles on the pavement this Saturday as we revised our weekend to eliminate the weekend outing in the Owyhee Mountains due to more bad weather. The revised plan was, he'd meet me about 10 miles from the city center giving him about 80 miles and me just over a century. We'd bring rain gear and tolerate the predicted drizzle. As we were making final plans to meet, he announced the planning was too complicated; he'd start from his home. Well, that would be a ride of about 92 or 93 miles which was just beyond what I thought his training supported. I don't like to set guys up for failure- regardless of what Corrie may say- they might not ride with me again, huh Corrie? But neither do I like to limit their adventures, so with a weather forecast of drizzle throughout the day with breezes of 2 or 3 MPH, we headed out on the wet pavement thankful for our fenders! I threw out the idea that if he made it to the finish he might want to do his first century, and if his odometer showed he'd crossed the 100.0 mile mark, I'd buy dinner.

Within an hour the pavement was dry, and the predicted 2 or 3 MPH winds had grown to steady 10 to 15 MPH winds- consistently in our faces no matter what direction we turned as we headed generally Northwest. At the old country store of Letha, we turn to ride generally southeast. In a rare act of weather justice, the winds were now at our tail no matter how we turned on the return to Boise. The sun was out most of the time, and the predicted drizzle didn't happen. I thought climbing Old Freezeout Grade at about mile 60 might zap the LT's strength, but I was wrong. We sped down the other side with our friendly trailwind and bright sunshine.

I hadn't noticed the LT tiring, but when we reached the city, at about mile 85 the LT wanted to finish on the "flat" bike path which follows the river rather than Hill Rd which has a couple small rises in it that he was now calling hills. The trees along the river reduced the benefit of the tailwind, and the LT temporarily allowed his speed to drop into the single digits until I complained- we'd set 10 MPH as the minimum speed for the finish although the LT may say I set that minimum speed! A small detour up onto the Bench and a ride on up to Broadway Bridge before the return to the LT's apt brought his total to 100.2 miles- we took the photo in a more scenic spot just before reaching his apt. Oh, dinner on me was at the Outback Steak House.

Scott & Doug, I submit that the LT is ready for an adventure on the Utah Cliffs!

LT Klein Finishes his First Century


Happy Cycling for fun, fitness, and transportation

Steve

1 comment:

  1. Steve, so you've finally broken down and created your own blog. Very good.

    Corrie

    ReplyDelete