19 May 2015

A TRC Weekend with Flat Iron Road


When Carol and Sean invited me up to Lewiston for the Flat Iron Ride, I decided to make it a full TRC weekend beginning with the Thursday night Time Trial where I hoped to see my old Time Trial buddies: Marilyn, Mike, Mark, Chris, Bob, Lance, and others but has time has taken a toll on my old buddies?  When 6:00 pm rolled around only Bob Uptagraff, Tamara, and two women  I hadn't met before were there.  

Thursday Time Trial           Distance 10.0 miles                      Riding time 34:14

Since I had spent most of the day in the car and hadn't done a time trial since moving to Boise in 2005, I declared my time at 36 minutes which should have made me the first to depart.  The women, all training for a tri-athlon,  decided to make a slower paced 10 mile warm up before the real time trial, so they departed first followed by me and then Bob.  The wind was out of the west just as I remembered.  As I peddled into the wind remembering that I needed an average speed of 20 MPH to have a mediocre time of 30:00 (always my goal, never my time), the highest speed I saw on my speedometer was 17.  My rear view mirror showed Bob was slowly gaining on me which kept me motivated despite my discomfort.  I turned around at the 2nd 200m mark just Bob had told me - which may have been a bit early- and enjoyed finally seeing the speedometer read 20 MPH as my direction finally matched the wind's direction.  Bob was no longer gaining on me, but with the tail wind I was generally doing 20 MPH telling myself I didn't want Bob sneaking up on me!  Although I did a lot of Time Trials from 97-04, I never really figured out why a non-racer like me would do them - other than the good company they provided!  It dawned on me that night.  With just 13 miles for the day which I'd spent most of sitting in the car, I felt really good.  My lungs had been expanded and my heart had raced releasing a bit of endorphins with so little time devoted to riding.  Riding a time trial is more like running! You accomplish a lot in a little time.  Thanks, Bob, for the competition! 

Bob Uptagraff finishes the Time Trial in what may be my first successful "panned shot" - where I move the camera to match his movement leaving the subject focused but the background blurry

Saturday's single track ride on the Craig Mountains was cancelled due to rain, but Sean, Carol, and I sneaked in a 10 mile ride to Carcass Corner which overlooks Lapwai.

Sunday's Flat Iron Road Mountain Bike Ride    Distance 47.0 Riding Time 5:02   Elevation Gain 5,019
Most of us left from the Ellis' house near the top of Cougar Ridge Road, but the rest of the group joined us at Mann's Lake, a more convenient meeting spot for most Orchard's residents.  We rode down Webb Canal Rd and then along Sweetwater Creek and up Webb Ridge Rd to  Flat Iron Road which are mostly gravel roads.  Nicki drove sag and took the group photos.
The 12 riders: Lee, Christy, Stephanie, Tracie, Mike, Sean, Bill, Steve, Jennifer, Guy, Roger, and Doug with the Lewiston Valley in the background


We continued up until we saw this canyon which had be be crossed- meaning most of our elevation gain would be lost and then regained!.
4 of the cyclists enjoying the rapid descent before climbing the facing hill

Tracie arrives at a small flat spot before resuming the climb.

We regroup and enjoy a break at the highest point on the ride

quick snacks and drinks as we regroup and our sag driver heads home
After reaching the high spot of the ride, we dropped into a draw and climbed up to the paved Waha Road for a quick descent by the Waha Store and on to Stephanie's house where we had great snacks- home-make cobbler, pie, and lemon bars- thanks Stephanie!  Bill wanted to be able to say he'd climbed more than the rest of us, so he continued on beyond Stephanie's to the end of the pavement, and then climbed back up to rejoin the group a little later, but his plan still left hims short of 50 miles for the day!  Carol joined the riders here, and we then continued down Waha Rd as Sean, who's quite capable of it, sped home from here to start the grill.

Instead of climbing McIntosh Grade we returned to the gravel of McCann Road and Reservation Line Rd back to the Ellis' for BBQ steaks (provided by the Ellis' and Stephanie) and many other goodies.

Thanks Sean, Carol, & TRC for a great weekend!

Happy Cycling for fun, fitness, and transportation!


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment